A regular meeting of the Synod of Bishops of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia, which has coincided with the day of celebration of the memory of Holy Hierarch John of Shanghai and San Francisco the Wonderworker and the 25th Anniversary of his canonization, is being convened within the borders of the Western American Diocese.
Most of the senior bishops of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia have arrived in San Francisco to discuss and resolve questions and aims in Church life today:
- His Eminence Metropolitan HILARION of Eastern America and New York, FIRST HIERARCH of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside of Russia
- His Eminence Archbishop MARK of Berlin and Germany, Vice President of the Synod of Bishops, Overseer of the Russian Ecclesiastical Mission in Jerusalem.
- His Eminence Archbishop GABRIEL of Montreal and Canada, Treasurer of the Synod of Bishops
- His Grace Bishop IRENEI of Richmond and Western Europe,
- His Grace Bishop THEODOSIUS of Seattle, Vicar of the Western American Diocese and
- His Grace Bishop NICHOLAS of Manhattan, Vicar Bishop of the Diocese of Eastern America and New York.
The guests of the Diocese are met by our ruling bishop, His Eminence Archbishop KYRILL of San Francisco and Western America, Second Deputy of the President of the Synod of Bishops and Secretary of the Synod of Bishops, who has been caught up in all of the practical issues that entail hosting such a gathering.
The Eminent and Right Reverend Bishops will be meeting for two days, from June 27 to 28, 2019, in the presence of the Hodigitria (Guide) of the Russian Diaspora, the “Kursk-Root” Icon of the Mother of God. And the convocation will conclude by participating in the solemn celebration of the day of memory of a predecessor to the current membership of the Synod of Bishops – Saint John of Shanghai and San Francisco the Wonderworker.
Photographers: Alexandra & Maria Volmensky